Sunday, September 9, 2012


Homeschooling Preschooler. 


So I’ve decided to homeschool my preschooler. Sure, not the biggest thing ever but it’s huge to me. I never planned on putting him in preschool; we’re just not in a place to afford that financially. My mother insisted it was a waste of money anyways. Still, I’ve become concerned with my child falling behind. The more I looked into school the more I became aware that I really have no desire to send my kids to a public school. I had a great time in public school so it’s nothing personal and I even got decent grades; however, I was completely blind sighted when I entered college.  Despite my good grades I wasn’t up to par on anything, I was embarrassed and upset I had to spend money on something I should have already known(Admittedly I’m a HORRIBLE tester and that didn’t help).  I certainly didn’t want my kids to feel that way. I was also homeschooled for one year in third grade and love it, I learn so much I went from behind in class to ahead, and it was wonderful. Plus there wasn’t all that wasted time, how could I learn so much in so less of time? That’s what homeschool does. In middle school I begged to homeschool again, because I felt so behind and I was just socially exhausted. My parents refused my request somehow thinking crying and struggling through middle school was healthy. I can’t agree completely, I shudder at the thought of any child going through that especially my own. My parents also denied my pleas because they were concerned for my social life. This I have learn is basically a myth of homeschooler being anti-social, sure there is some effort involved but they turn out just as functional as any other child.
When I first thought of homeschooling my own children my husband quickly dismissed it stating I couldn’t handle it. What?!...alright so the house is a disaster, well, constantly. I’m totally unorganized and my children not exactly best behaved although wonderful kids. I hung my head he was totally right no way I would be able to do it. So now what? Was there alternatives? Yes, yes there is and plenty of them. Unschooling was the first thing I stumble across. I like, but maybe too free for my 4 year old. I’m up for him doing what he wants but he still needs (in my opinion) direction and even, dare I say it, discipline. Then someone mention Waldorf. I like this although a little odd in some areas. Montessori, I really liked this, freedom to learn and do what the child wants but plenty of direction.  Oh, and just my luck there was a school in my area. But price, could I afford something like this? No, absolutely not. Maybe even possibly in the future. Right now, nope, not going to happen (Come on, I could pay for preschool of anykind). Well it was a happy thought. But honestly there were so many good things in all learning styles, how could I pick one for my child, how would I know what he would respond to?
So here starts an adventure. I’ve gone to my local library and pick up books on Montessori. First one is basically explaining why to pick Montessori. The other is Maria Montessori’s book, which is really hard to read. Neither of which have any curriculum, but I suppose I’ll get there. To my surprise, however, the library had no book on Waldorf in the whole county, very disappointing. So it seems I am in need of a trip to Barnes and Noble until then I will try another idea.
My kindergarten class was in weekly letter themes, color themes or numbers. I remember this because my teacher, Mrs. Alexander, was really great at these. If you ever read ‘The Magic School Bus’ you know the teacher Ms. Frizzle. Let just say Ms. Frizzle would be envious of Mrs. Alexander’s wardrobe especially the earrings.  She’s really was the best teacher, which I’m guessing is part of why I wanted to be a kindergarten teacher myself.  So tomorrow I start on week one letter A. I found this amazing website .www.preschoolalphabet.blogspot.com printed off September calendar with lots of great ideas. Of course I expanded this into other stuff I wanted or found. Pinterest has been an amazing discovery I have a board for educational ideas and one for Montessori too.
I’ve broken down categories of Math/Science, Outdoor/Garden Time, Story/Song Time, Craft Time, and Biology. There been an interest in animals lately so we’ll see how that goes.  
Day one of A week is Ants. The games plan is Thumbprint Ants and just them in my own version of the ‘Who Invited the Ants To the Picnic’ inspired by  Teach With Me.com I did not just the print out but here is a link. http://www.teachwithme.com/
This has to do with counting, so check off Math.
Later observing Ants, which is his favorite thing anyways (this a good time for ant anatomy). Aesop’s Fable ‘The Ant and the Grasshopper’ .Then making ants out of egg carton and pipe cleaner (found on Pinterest but the link isn’t working all that well). I’m planning on following his lead, if he is really interested in something will pursue it further if he doesn’t want to hear me right now, we’ll work on it later or in a different way.  I’m flexible, which, I have a feeling is good and bad. But, considering I have a 21 month old that totally rejects routine this will probably work in my favor. Wish me luck

No comments:

Post a Comment