Tuesday, September 11, 2012


A is for Ants


Just for the sake of my kids I've currently decided I will not be posting any full face pics and will use nicknames. My oldest, my handsome prince, I'll refer to as Light and my little one, my prince charming, as Dart.

A is for Ants
So the ink ants were a ton of fun. Since the only color I could find was purple and red ink I opted for purple. Probably would about been cheaper to mush up some blackberries. Also would have been good after learning a bit about ants. We did end up with some ants that look more like caterpillars but that all in the fun. I think he did really well.

 Little Prince Charming enjoyed the ink, as well as having free range of a pen. 

Nature walk, the hunt for ants. We went to the spot on the edge of the yard that has been teeming with ants since spring. Perhaps it was the season because the concrete edge is now void of all ant life. Although there was a few spider hurrying across disturbed by our steps and scurrying to freedom on the other side. 

So we left the yard, searching the empty lot next to us discover that the oak tree is dropping acorn. Hurray! I was all excited. A is for acorn.

 So we spent some time collected acorn and stick. Our treasure grew with the discovery of empty walnuts shells and hazelnuts shells.

 There was also some blackberry collecting but those disappeared promptly in small purple stained mouths. After some protest I convinced Light to come back home. I would have stayed out longer but my feet were already hurting and Dart has an issue staying close.

 I used lunch as a lure but it wasn't much help. Once inside I sat and Dart disappeared in the pantry for a moment reappear with a bottle of water from Light’s kitchen area and a measuring spoon after a few semi successful and very amusing tries at drinking water from a spoon I relocated his cup. Much easier. Meanwhile Light was outside sorting and organizing the acorns and sticks, score for Math.

Snack time consisted or constructing stick pretzels in an A shape repeatedly. He wouldn't write the letter A, that was boring. Still, I figure this was helpful. Afterward we looked at alphabet flash cards, mostly because Dart found them. I was surprised but they paid attention for a little while.

Pom pom were a great use to distract Dart, except of course when I brought them out Light immediately wanted them. Still, when I left Light alone with them while putting Dart down for a nap I came back to puff ball construction site on my couch.  Should have known he'd find a way to incorporate construction equipment. I was thrilled, this is totally great and non-messy. It’s certainly less messy than dirt or color rice. What a smart kid I have.

Making ants; alright paint was a risk and next time I think I’ll just stick with markers. After about 5 seconds Light had red paint right under his eye all the way to the very edge of his eye. Seriously I don’t acrylic paint is good for the eyes. Still, he had a blast. The red paint was his idea, he wanted a fire ant.

Finally parts of an ant coloring page. FYI markers are messing too, at least for my child. http://www.calacademy.org/science/citizen_science/pdfs/Ant_Anatomy_Packet.pdf

At the end of it all Light actually asked for some quiet time and went and hid in his room for a while, which was fine with me. Unfortunately my patience was wearing thin at the moment Dart having just woken up and in the mist of dinner, child on hip when hubby walked in. Maybe he was just doing it for my benefit, I'm not sure. Hoping tomorrow is a little more smooth as we settle into a rhythm.    

No comments:

Post a Comment