Saturday, October 6, 2012


He's such a Doll



Recently we visited a friend. They had a little girl about 8 years old and a 2 year old boy. So there were all sorts of toys and to my surprise I turned around and found Dart sweetly cradling a baby doll. He even pulled a blanket around it and then tried to put it in a stroller. I was in awe.
Light had been given a cloth doll when he was small and it held no interest, in fact it was usually found thrown across the room. Despite my efforts the doll was totally rejected. All played well to my mother-in-laws amusement. She used to laugh and declare the future of baby brother or sister, thrown across the room. Honestly, she wasn’t too far off.
Light isn’t exactly oozing paternal or even simple big brother instincts. He’s a good brother but even his initial reaction to baby brother was underwhelming. Vincent reaction to babies is somewhat different. Currently we been hanging with a sweet set of little twins and Dart seem taken with them. He’s been seen covering with them with blankets and giving toys. Despite his general lacking in gentleness I’ve been impressed. He’s given soft hugs and even gentle whispers. Yes, my super loud Dart lowered his voice to a whisper.
So with all this info and an impending second birthday of my Dart, I’ve decided a baby doll is a perfect gift. Being that dolls are not all that masculine it too a little convincing for husband to shake his immediate reaction of ‘no way’. The conversation went a little like:
“I want to get ‘Dart’ a doll for his birthday.”
“No.”
“Why?!”
“Because…” some macho rambling, I kind of tuned out.
“Did you play with dolls?”
“NO!”
“Yeah, how do you think that help with practicing to be a dad?” This didn’t get any response. Hubby was pretty much clueless when we brought baby home. He’ll even admit that. Smiling I explained how baby dolls are great for boys too. Girl play for pretend as practice for motherhood, dads are just as important. Shouldn’t boys play and practice with baby dolls too? Also seems to be a good idea for a potentially, someday in the not so near future big brother.
What was his response? Simply, “OK”
I love my husband. He listens to me and understands. Kudos to him.
Sooo, now to find the perfect doll. My first thought is a plastic doll. I think life like would be best. Also anything of my children’s is almost guaranteed to get dirty, easy washing is a bonus. I love the idea of practice bathing a baby too. However, PBA and PVC are a concern with anything plastic.  
Sure enough, I did some research on dolls, and anything and everything plastic has BPA. This toy may not be a favorite but if it is and Dart ends up cuddling and carrying it every were I don’t want any toxic chemicals. So cloth it is. Still I want it to look life like and be nontoxic. I could attempt to sew one for him, but my sew skills are lacking. So it was shopping time.
Till next time. Hopefully I will find some good options.

No comments:

Post a Comment