Saturday, December 29, 2012


Christmas Gifts; Quickly Made.
I hope everyone had a happy holiday. We had a ton of fun. Although there has been a little mishap with Santa and his elves, Light gift seems to be not only late but lost. Luckily Light seems fine with it all and doesn't even know the difference. Unfortunately we can’t find a replacement and time is running out.
So in knowing that Santa was not making it in time, I went craft crazy the night before. I just wanted to share. I wish I had more pictures but I was in a hurry.

First was idea I've had for a while. Flower in a flower pot. I’d bought the flowers for about $2 a piece at Michaels months ago and the plastic pot for not much more at Lowe’s. The predicament was how to put the flowers in and out as Dart liked. Beans or Lentils would be the best and he could place the flowers were ever he liked. 

However this seemed, well, an insane idea with Dart. So, I took cardboard and fashioned inside the pot. Covered with green duct tape I had on hand.  Tah Dah! Ok so it took more effort than that. I cut holes and then attached cardboard tube (made from left over cardboard and tape) on the bottom to guide the stems. I did have to trim the stems and I totally forgot about one of the flowers but there is gaps on the sides so it all worked out.  He was even sharing flower with family on Christmas.  

It works his coordination and we can talk about the colors and being gentle. It was a good quiet time activity when he was acting up at the dinner table.

Another gift for Dart was bird and eggs. I was lucky enough to stumble on the bowl at a thrift store for a dollar and the eggs at a craft store. I was planning on a gray bird with a yellow belly but not enough gray. Quick round stitch with the felt. I still like the way it turned out especially for winging the pattern.

Now for Light. We had discussed a house for his gnome peg people before. But I saw a large version of a home made to look like a trunk and fell in love with the idea. Now to do it on a smaller scale. I used two embroidery hoops on either end of a cracker box I had cut up. Make sure to cut the door out before. It takes a little wiggling to get in right. Then I tacky glued the heck out of it, Tacky glue is new to me and let’s just say I love it! 

Round piece of felt glued to the top and a green on the bottom. Sharpie for the ring on the tree, if I’d planned this I would have sewed it all. Still, Light loves it.

Last is a memory game. The round discs are found at the craft store and a thin Sharpie drew the design. It not perfect but it is fun. Plus it shows my geek side. The symbols are from Avatar, The Last Airbender. This is a show Light and I have enjoyed together. 

Overall a pretty successful haul for 3 hours or more of brainstorming and crafting.

No comments:

Post a Comment